Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Just a few random thoughts for the day...

Sometimes, morality is like a burden. Some choose to carry its weight willingly. Some never even realize they've been lugging it around all their lives. Some refuse to acknowledge it's existance. And some try to chuck it as far away as possible, never noticing that where ever they go, they're dragging its weight behind them on chains.

Does it hold us back? Does it make us stronger? Does it fetter our potential? Does it empower the soul?

Maybe yes. Maybe no. Depends on who you ask.

As for me, well... I kinda like this particular burden I'm carrying. I think I'll keep it around for a while. Like maybe the rest of my life. At least.
_____

Sometimes life is like when you bite yourself on the inside of your lip by accident.

The first time it hurts, but not too bad. The second time, it hurts more, and the swelling caused by the first bite really flares up. By the third time, your mouth gets all swollen up and it's painful. You don't exactly want to bite yourself again, but the swelling increases the likelihood that you're gonna chomp down on yourself again, the next time you're trying to eat something.

And eventually, you gotta go rinse your mouth out with salt water several times a day to fix the problem. Which hurts. But hey, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, eh?

How is that like life? Hey, I just post random thoughts, I don't try to make sense outta them.
_____

...favorite line right now, excerpt from Reaper Man* by Terry Pratchett:


SEE? I HAVE TIME. AT LAST, I HAVE TIME!

Albert backed away nervously.

"And now that you have it, what are you going to do with it?" he said.

Death mounted his horse.

I AM GOING TO SPEND IT.

Yes indeed. Go spend some time, people. Just remember: try to spend it, not waste it.
__________

* Pratchett, Terry. Reaper Man. HarperTorch, an Imprint of HarperCollins Publishing, NY, 1991

No comments: