Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hearing the Call...

So I went and turned on my PlayOnline thing today, to check my mail and stuff. And also 'cause I am thinking about starting up the game again. After all this time, I still dearly miss the tarutaru.

It's been such a long time since I logged in. Still, there's just something about that log in music, and that locking sound... it just brings a smile to my face, and I feel a sense of anticipation in my heart.

I'm not saying that the game was without flaws. It's impossible to solo after a certain stage, gear is very important AND hellishly expensive. Crafting is expensive and FRUSTRATING, seeing as how your random skill-ups are from .1 to .3 at a time. Finding parties is often a drag. It made my brain hurt to try to play AND roleplay AND translate English -> Japanese and Japanese -> English for some parties. And the psychological scarring caused by forcing a tarutaru THF to backstab loincloth-clad giants... *shudders*

But despite all the flaws, FFXI will always be a special game to me. It brought me back to MMORPG's, after I had sworn them off. It renewed some of my faith in myself, and in online people. It gave me the opportunity to RP in a game again. It gave me the chance to meet Talathar, the littaru cheery tarutaru that now takes up a littaru corner in my soul - the happy silly side of myself that rarely gets expressed in public. And it allowed me to meet a great bunch of friends, who then proceeded to drag me off to WoW, where I met a whole NEW bunch of friends.

Which, in a round-about way, is leading me back to FFXI. 'Cause a friend from WoW is talking about starting up FF again. And I miss adventuring with him. So anyway I went and checked the "Reactivate Content ID" screen today. According to that, Talathar and her sisters are all still there, sitting in their mog houses. Gave me a fuzzy warm feeling, to see them all there still.

It's going to be painful to start all over at level 1 again, with no resources... heck, my brother gave me money and gear when I started out on Seraph, so I'm kinda spoiled. And I know it's not going to be the same, what with the folks I used to play with all still firmly ensconced in WoWage.

Still... I think I'm going to see if I can budget a second MMORPG into my life.

Beware, people of Vana'diel. The tarutaru may be making a return...

3 comments:

Calili said...

Tala! If you come back and need a new home, you better let me know! ^^ You better believe you'd be welcome in our little family.
I've been so busy... SMN 75. ^^; And, yes, everything you said is true. Now, though, its the most amazing thing - at least for me. A huge goal accomplished and I still love this game...

Talathar said...

CALLI! ^_^

Ohh, lvl 75 SMN! Congrats!!! That's so awesome!

SMN was one job I never did get the chance to try with Tala... never managed to finish getting Carby. The only advanced jobs I played around with were BRD and PLD. ^^

I forget, what server are you on? Are you on Shiva? I'm mostly likely going to roll up a new version of Talathar on Shiva - my friend Ark has an elvaan pally there.

Although I'll probably still keep WoW going also - the group there is great, and my dwarven paladin is fun to roleplay. (besides, people might hunt me down and beat me with the tarutaru hammer of squeaky doom if I went and quit WoW... *chuckles*)

But I'll definately give ya a buzz when I start up FFXI again! ^^;

Calili said...

Thank you!!^^ Yes, I <3 SMN!!

We're on Kujata... darn! ; ; Oh well, FFXI is FFXI no matter which server you're on. ^^ I'm sure you'll love the new areas in Aht Urghan too, if you get to playing with that!^^