Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ode to Rolanberry Fields...

I was listening to the winamp radio today, on the jpop/anime/game station, while working away at the computer. Suddenly I heard something achingly familiar - the song for the Rolanberry Fields. It's an area on the Final Fantasy XI game. For some reason, it made me happy, yet melancholy at the same time. That song unexpectedly brought back fond memories. Memories of friends left behind, of time spent together, of the intense concentration, of focussed teamwork. I miss that.

I learned something important from that game: the true essense of good teamwork, is TRUST.

It's not enough to do your job, and do it well; it's just as important to trust others to do their jobs, without interference from you. And it's important for them to trust you as well. Without that sense of trust, things break down.

It was a good thing to learn. Or relearn, anyway.

It's horrible when you've trapped yourself in a place where trust is non-existant. Where doing your best just makes the higher-ups nervous and hostile. Where it's better to under-perform than over-achieve, because you'll get yelled at either way - but at least if you won't be eyed by management as a threat. And where even the best of intentions can lead you astray.

Looking back, it's no wonder I enjoyed FFXI so much - it was the perfect escape from this evil place. Vana'diel was a place where people did trust each other, and worked together as a cohesive team. That's something I don't have anymore. Instead, everyone here is only concerned with their own agendas. No one is looking beyond themselves at the bigger picture.

It was nice to be an integral part of a working team. Not to mention the amount of fun roleplaying a tarutaru was.

My role in WoW is much different than my role was as the diminutive little taru. I'm still trying to work things out, but hopefully I'm doing okay.

Still... I love the music from FFXI. Just hearing the music again made me miss the game a bit. I wonder if the soundtrack for that game is available anywhere...

2 comments:

emazo said...

I have to agree with you on that Tala, the team aspect of FFO made it really fun to play. That is, after we had the static team. There was nothing quite like that feeling of teamwork that I felt while in Omega. It was really great knowing that I could count on everyone doing their job and they could count on me to do mine. What really pointed this out was when we only had 5 for awhile and we would get a pickup on those nights. Even tho we had some random player, we still did really well because the rest of us knew what we were supposed to be doing. That was one good thing I'll always remember about FFO.

And honestly, that is something I really miss in WoW. But as I get further along, I am noticing the need to group more often, so when I do get to, it is rather fun. But its almost like WoW is the opposite to FFO in that respect, it encourages you to adventure alone rather than forcing you to group.

ah well.

Talathar said...

Chipda2nd - thanks! I'll have to check it out and see. ^^

Zan - Yeah, it was fun with the static group. Trying to find pick-up groups, and then trying to level while in them, was not as good.

Either the group was great, mediocre, or just was so bad you wanted to cry...

Then the were the waiting for a group... sometimes waiting for a long, long time. -_-;;

Ah well...