Saturday, February 05, 2005

Birthdays...

Generally, I hate birthdays. No no, not other people's birthdays - those generally I enjoy.

I just don't like my own. Not usually.

I guess that why I'm grateful for my friends - they drag me out on such days. Because, if left to myself, it would just be another melancholy day of uneventfulness.

Yesterday I had to endure a work birthday lunch, yet again. I don't mind lunches with the boss-lady, but when the manager goes... well... let us just say I suddenly become deaf-mute and focus my complete and utter attention on my plate. Or the decor. Or anything else.

Not that I'm normally a chatter-box or anything. (Well, okay maybe sometimes I can be...) It's just that, for some reason, I just have no urge to talk. None what-so-ever. Not to her. Probably because I know that she can't be trusted, so I've never felt comfortable opening up to her. Not really. The only times I've done so, are because I really don't care who knows how I feel about stuff.

In any case, it was a good enough lunch. I survived with my sanity intact, at least. (...or did I... hmm... ) Besides, I got a gift certificate to Starbucks, and a free pass to Disneyland out of it, so... ^^y

Then, after work, the group took me out to dinner. Mmmm... Italian food... and good friends... and they brought in a cake. Chocolate cake. From my favorite bakery.

Once we were through with dinner, I thought I'd call it a night. But, after a bit of coaxing, we went to a local place where they do karaoke every Friday night, and stayed there until about 10ish or so. It was fun. As always.

I spent most of today (my REAL birthday) reading. Then, a bit out of the blue, I got a call from another friend who's out on the East coast now. We talked on the phone for a while. It was great.

I forget sometimes how much I miss these folks when they're not around. Since some of them left the hell-hole where we shared so much time, the place just hasn't been the same. I haven't been the same. It's gotten so that, after being treated as worthless by people day-in and day-out, and being taken advantage of, time and time again, even by those claiming friendship, you start to really believe it... -_-

I know a lot of great people. I'm grateful for that. Perhaps more than I can ever express. I hope to be worthy of such wonderful people.

Thanks, guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked your cake and dinner. Karaoke is fun...I just don't have a good voice. Maybe a few margaritas next time and I'll belt out a song or two. :-)

P.S. This is Stephanie again...still rebelling! Still anonymous....

emazo said...

well its late, but happy birthday regardless. :)